Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Oakley VCO (Updated)


UPDATE:
Jason Proctor was a step ahead of me, and recorded both the Oakley and the MOTM VCO , he writes:"ok so here are two doodlings starring the MOTM-300 and Oakley issue 4 VCO. i'm not really playing anything, just messing around. both start with sawtooth through a wide open superladder filter. then i mess with the filter a bit, hit it with an envelope. then i crank the resonance. then i switch to pulse wave with some PWM, and mess with the filter a bit more etc."

You can find the " recordings here.

I recently asked members of the MOTM community for tips and suggestions on how to progress with my synth, and I received several e-mails, and the general tone of this was, "get another VCO, and add some additional modulation/envelope sources."
As I had a small financial bonus in these uncertain times (no I don't work for a bank :-) ), I decided to treat myself and start with a VCO.
I've pondered for a while already what VCO to get, and I decided to go for something a little different. I thought about getting the MOTM-310 , which would give me the same basic quality and sound as my existing ones, while saving some space, but then I thought perhaps I should see if another brand would add some 'variety'.So I went for the Oakley VCO, eventhough it would fill out my currently available 2U space I have left.
I am still not sure how different the Oakley sounds, my guess it's not 'that' different, but I won't know until I get one and try it out. I'm sure someone would take it of my hands if I don't like it, but I'm sure that won't happen, so it's ordered and on it's way.
I'll let you know about my findings when it's here :-)

T J

3 Comments:

Blogger synthetic said...

Nice, I've been thinking about one of these myself. Be sure to write a review/comparison of the 300.

6:49 PM  
Blogger T J said...

Will do, I will record some A-B comparissons too of pure VCO output, without filtering.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Jack Astro said...

I am looking forward to the comparison too. With samples please :)

I have some dotcom/moogerfooger comparisons that I recorded over summer and still haven't posted.

11:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home