Saturday, February 21, 2009

Raw waves


I've been patching, as the picture shows, and as promised I would post some comparison between the Oakley and the MOTM VCO's.
Well to be honest, in the raw output I cannot detect any real difference unless my ears deceive me. There is some difference perhaps in the Pulse wave , but this is also dependent on the front panel setting. Therefore I also recorded a sweep of this pulse wave.
What you hear is each VCO, going from Sine, to Tri, to Saw, and finally Pulse, followed with a pulse sweep.
Each VCO note is pressed twice, then switched over to the other VCO. In each case, the MOTM is first, followed by the Oakley. Then moving on to the next wave form.

Download the MP3 at my download area.

Judge for yourself :-)

T J

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Static output waves from 1 VCO to another will sound the same. In fact, one would hope this.

What makes MOTM VCOs 'worth the money' is the tracking, the temperature stability and the audio-rate PWM tones.

10:55 PM  
Blogger T J said...

I think differences could be audible if the shape of the saw wave would be different, and pulse wave form is different in shape, and if the sine is not quite a sine for instance. Perfect shapes will indeed sound the same. Looks like these are, and I found that the tracking of both designs is very good, at least on a par within the range of several octaves, there may be differences when you go up towards bat frequencies but I haven't tried that yet :-) Both designs are worth their money without a doubt.

8:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home