Friday, August 29, 2008

More Mankato stuff


After posting the previous blog about the Mankato filter , Stephen Drake wrote me and gives some feedback on his use of one, and where to get parts etc.
Steve says:
They're not terribly difficult to build, and the bridechamber has the panel I used (usually, they're out of stock currently), and the pcb and hard to find parts are available from Magic Smoke. It's all not too expensive - the pots and knobs are going to be your greatest expense.
I haven't been really impressed with it yet overall - but I haven't used it much, and I haven't even gotten around to calibrating it yet. I haven't experimented with using it as a vco yet at all - I think that's where it's really supposed to be interesting. As a filter it doesn't have much character - and it has a lower output level than the motm fllters, so it tends to get lost in multi-filter applications like the video you posted. "

He kindly allowed me to poke around on his Flickr page for a picture of his MOTM Mankato filter, which I've promptly posted with this article. Thank you Steve for your feedback. :-)

T J

4 Comments:

Blogger synthetic said...

Enough filters, I want some more oscillator choices! Something fat, drifty, vintage-sounding. The MOTM is great but I want something obese.

5:42 PM  
Blogger T J said...

Perhaps the upcoming Cloudgenerator could be the one you are after :-)

5:56 PM  
Blogger Stephen said...

Why would anyone want a drifty vco? Never mind, rhetorical question. After messing with drifty vco's for decades, the 300/310's are an absolute joy to use. And I think most of the old "phat" freaks would be surprised if a 300 was blind tested next to an old moog vco - they sound as good or better to my ears.

9:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

With a little help from external modulation . lfo's etc, the MOTM oscillators can be made as drifty as you like for that matter :-)

10:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home