Saturday, December 30, 2006

FOUR on the FLOOR

What to do if you have little space available, or just quickly want to experiment in your home? Simple, dump a keyboard, an MOTM (underconstruction) and a laptop on the bedroom floor, and start tweaking and patching, using the laptop as a headphone amplifier and to record the results on a HD so that you have a way of documenting your experiments. In this case I couldn't help myself, as I was sitting on the floor doing all this, a 4/4 beat, morroder style bass line soon emerged and was happilly playing away. I love that stuff from time to time. :-) (yes that's a reversed keyboard, a limited edition Poly 800 being used as the midi controller)

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm waiting for MOTM system to ship, and I've found your blog very interesting. Is it really OK to have your synth "out in the open" with no case? Isn't there a danger from static from the rug etc?

10:47 PM  
Blogger T J said...

It's not that ideal, but it doesn't reside on the floor permanently, I am currently, working on a drawing for a wooden case, once completed, I will start building that and report on it. It will then be better protected.
I haven't had problems with static (dust attraction) so far, but it is dangerous, of course, do not touch or reach behind the unit, as the powersupply section contains some damgerous voltages!

1:15 AM  
Blogger T J said...

By the way, thanks for leaving me a comment. Nice to know there is an audience out there, and finds my blog interesting/useful. Did you order MOTM modules, and if so, which ones?

1:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've got a small system of premade modules on order for a late Feb. delivery - the MIDI module, a 300, a 420, 2 ADSR's, a 390, the VCA, a 910 multiple, and one each of the last of the 120's and 820's... Paul said he was discontinuing them so I picked them both up.

I was very impressed with the demo you made using just the single 300 and the 420 (plus the ultrabeat default drums lol)... I can't wait to make music with the MOTM, it'll sound 1000x better than an equivalent patch in a Logic softsynth.

I'm also considering getting a "UEB" from Encore, and that was what led me to the static comment. The UEB manual I downloaded from the site has some very scary things to say about static and modular synths....

Doug

11:57 PM  
Blogger T J said...

it was indeed the Ultrabeat :-) I am also impressed what sonic capabilities you can reach with just a few modules.

Looks like your starter system is near enough identical to mine, bar the 120 and 820.

I've just started to solder the 101 together today.

6:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home